1020 FOURTH AVENUE / Central Elementary
Situated in a block originally reserved for a university, Central School is the oldest school still in use in Boulder County. The East wing was built in 1878 at a cost of $2,725. Three years later the middle wing was added and in 1908 the West wing was completed. This school housed all grades until the High School was built in 1901. The school attendance grew to 362 pupils in 1936 and remained near this figure until the addition of the Intermediate building in 1950. Enrollment peaked in 1969-70 when 791 students attended Central. The building exhibits a modest Italianate style with architecture links to newer buildings. Longmont designated the Central School a landmark in 1976. Strong community support along with sixteen inch thick brick walls and stone stairways are reasons that have allowed Central School to thrive in our historic neighborhood.